Intervention- February 19, 2013
Your addiction has effected me negatively in the following ways:
- You can’t sit down to a meal at our home or go to a restaurant without getting a fix. We as a family should be able to dine together without you having to have a drink every time.
- When you drink you act differently, most often a hyper sugar high, followed by a tear filled-crash.
- I can no longer watch you fumble and get frustrated with the plastic straw in the carton.
- I have seen you scream and throw your carton on the Barnes & Noble train table, splashing your drink all over the Thomas the Tank Engine.
- I find cartons in your car seat and by your high chair.
- Your addiction makes me feel like I am failing you as a mother if I don’t give you what you want.
- If you don’t get a drink you throw a fit and cry until you do. As your mother, I can no longer listen to your wails for “chokate milk!”
I am here today asking you to get help. I will no longer be an enabler. I will not be the person who fuels your addiction any more. I can’t stand by and watch you douse Thomas & Friends in a sugar-fueled rage. I no longer will let you pick a carton from the Starbucks cooler thinking it is “just this once.” I now know that Ovaltine is not any better, it just made me feel better to give it to you because it had “vitamins.”
Sometimes I blame myself because I breast fed you for a year and I have to think the only thing as delicious as my milk is chocolate milk.
Please accept the gift of help we are offering you today. We are now a “dry” home, free of sugar laced milk. You will now only drink plain milk and water. I know sometimes they give you juice at school and I can live with that, but we will no longer have chocolate milk in our house.
I love you and I want what is best for your teeth and our sanity as a family.
P.S. If this is ever really for drugs and not a tongue-in-cheek blog post, I will drag your butt to rehab. If you refuse, I will send you to jail because I’m not putting up with that crap. Consider chocolate milk your warning.