Needled- January 7, 2013

When my due date came and went and I was still pregnant, I lost my mind.  I seriously read EVERYTHING about inducing labor naturally.  Foods, sex, bouncing on an exercise ball, walking, Evening Primrose Oil, you name it.  I was a woman on a mission.  I was HAVING this baby within the week.  41 weeks suddenly became a very long time.  There was one thing that I did that I never wrote about here.  Today, I found myself talking to my pregnant coworker and I had flashbacks.

I did two acupuncture sessions to try to induce labor.

October 2010. I’m starting to forget I ever looked like this.

I checked with the OB who gave me the all clear.  I think her exact words were, “‘It can’t hurt.  Tell me how it works for you.”  I think whoever answered the phones at these two acupuncture places could hear the exhaustion and exasperation in my voice when I begged them for appointments.  When I got to the first place I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  I think I ended up just paying for it instead of filing insurance claim forms to see if my PPO would cover it.  I was too tired to care.

At one of the places I got to lay on this massage table that had a net cut out of the middle of it so my belly could hang down and I could lay on my stomach.  Heaven!  It was AMAZING!  Anyone 7-9 months pregnant should get to lay on one of those.  Ahhhh!

It was what happened at the first place that was the most…um…moving.  The guy told me about all the spots on the body where they would put needles.  He explained there were certain acupuncture locations for labor induction.  The places were on my hands and my ankles.  It only hurt a little.  He attached little electrodes to them and turned on the machine.  My muscles twitched and my skin stung.  The baby stirred.   I asked him to turn it down a bit.  He did and left the room.

Ugh!  Oh no.  A wave of nausea came over me.  Keep in mind I went 40 weeks without throwing up.  Not once.  I was queasy in the First Trimester, for sure, but never puked.  I sure wasn’t going to let it happen now.  I yelled, “Um!  Excuse me!”  Thankfully the doctor wasn’t too far away and rushed in.  “I need to go to the bathroom!”  He unplugged me.  Fortunately I made it on time to poop.  (Why I got nauseous I’ll never know.) The acupuncturist enthusiastically told me this was good and that my energy was headed downward.

No shit.

Wait, no.  Yes shit.

The only needle that induced labor for me was the one attached to the IV of Pitocin a week later.

14 Responses to “Needled- January 7, 2013”

1. Rebecca says:

You were such a gorgeous pregnant woman! Holy smokes! Great story too :) going a week overdue would have made me crazy too! My second little one came on her due date which was late enough for me!

• Amy says:

Oh, goodness! Thank you! It feels like yesterday, but like a million years ago, you know? It seems like you are all settling in well with the new little one. She is BEAUTIFUL, Rebecca!

2. C. Beth says:

This post made me laugh out loud!

3. Emily @thebusymomsdiet says:

Wow…this just brought me back to all the walking, pineapple, etc that went down in my 41st week, with similar results!. Thanks for visiting me on my SITS Day!

4. Jackie says:

That is hilarious! I went ten days past my due date and I wanted to kill someone! I tried tonic and cranberry juice, a TON OF IT (randomly found that on some messageboards amongst about a million other crazy suggestions.) I did go into labor the next day but it was right before I was supposed to be induced and AFTER a cervical ripening procedure, so who knows!!

5. Amy says:

Oh my gosh, this post is so funny! :) I can’t even imagine!

6. HAHAHAHAHA! This post made me laugh so hard. I had my last 3 naturally so I can so relate to trying anything and everything to go into labor. I did not try acupuncture though. After reading this, I’m not sure I would consider it! ;)

7. Michael Dunaway says:

On my 30th bday I was in Atlantic City with friends for a guys weekend. The due date for my son was 2 weeks away and my wife ok’d the trip bc we had just been to the doctor and he said she was in good shape. She had been doing acupuncture for a few weeks. The night I arrived in AC, I got THE call. My wife was at her acupuncture appointment when her water broke. Thankfully I was able to drive home in plenty of time, but to this day she swears it was the acupuncture that made our little guy come early.

• Amy says:

Wow! Really?! That’s so funny.

I have to admit, the high school girl in me is a tad embarrassed that Mike Dunaway knows this story about me pooping. But, I’m flattered you read my blog. Thanks Mike! Give my best to Julie!